If you didn’t know what Kratom is, you wouldn’t be on our site reading this right now. Maybe you are looking to buy Kratom, or simply to learn more about it. But do you know what the American Kratom Association is? Pretty much any Kratom advocate is familiar with this incredibly important organization. If you have never heard of them, it’s time you have. And if you already know who they are, this article will dive deeper into their mission. Today you will learn all about the American Kratom Association and how they need you (yes, you!) to help keep fighting the right to access Kratom.
What is the American Kratom Association?
The American Kratom Association was founded in 2014 with the sole mission of protecting consumers’ rights to access Kratom as well as restore that right in states and cities where it is currently banned. It is a non-profit organization headquartered in Virginia and run by volunteers. There are five main goals they remain laser-focused on which are as follows:
- Support Consumers – by protecting their rights to access Kratom
- Educate – There is an enormous amount of misinformation spread by the media about Kratom and the AKA’s goal is to get the correct information about Kratom to everyone possible
- Amplify – Think of this as strength in numbers. The more stories are shared, the louder our voices are, the more the message of advocacy is spread.
- Global Awareness – The AKA hopes to make their voice heard around the world in order to help other countries navigating the legal aspects of Kratom
- Protect Natural Resources – The is the endorsement and commitment to advocate for the environment and safe, sustainable practices in Kratom harvesting
Making an Impact
Kratom is a largely unregulated industry which can make things a little messy in the eyes of the government. Okay, very messy. Some states and cities have classified Kratom as a Schedule 1 Drug (alongside heroin!) while others have had zero government intervention. There are no current guidelines or standards Kratom vendors need to abide by when providing Kratom powder, capsules or extracts to the people. Currently, companies (like us at Karmaganics) have taken proactive and responsible steps to only supply lab-tested Kratom and abide by good standards and practices.
The most recent and progressive step the AKA is taking is perhaps it’s most important. Have you heard yet about the Kratom Consumer Protection Act? This is a new piece of proactive legislation drafted by the AKA. It is designed to protect the right of consumers while satisfying the kind of regulation that the government is so keen to see. It holds vendors to a higher standard of business so consumers can make they are getting safe and quality Kratom. Some of the highlights of the bill are as follows:
- Sales to those under 18 is prohibited
- Clearly labeled ingredients
- The amount of Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine should be clearly stated
- Listing of any other ingredients in order of predominance (this applies mainly to things like Kratom shots, where there is more than just the actual Kratom)
The bill also forbids the adulteration of Kratom in any way that changes the potency or chemical make-up of the Kratom. This ensures that all consumers are getting a pure form of Kratom. As of this writing, the Kratom Consumer Protection Act has passed through the first levels of government in Utah and Georgia. More states to come!
How You Can Help
The American Kratom Association is doing whatever they can to advocate for Kratom users all over the country. So what can you do to help them thrive and continue advocating on your behalf?
The organization survives solely on donations. The fastest and easiest thing for you to do is to open up your wallet, even just a little bit, to help keep them running and able to do the work they do. Even a $1 donation is better than none. You can donate HERE. Every little bit helps!
If you have time to offer, another great way to help is to volunteer. The AKA is always looking for people to help spread the word. You can sign up via email on their site and they will contact you with further information.
You can also show your advocacy by showing up at all AKA events to have your body seen and voice heard if necessary. The Kratom community needs to show a strength in numbers. Just remember, whenever you show up to any event (especially a government hearing!) it is very important to remain composed and polite at all times. We want to maintain a reputation of dignity and civility so our cause can be heard without any outside drama!
Our access to Kratom would not be what it is today without the American Kratom Association. They tirelessly work around the clock to protect our rights to procure Kratom. They are the backbone of our community and we should look to support them as much as we possibly can.